„After a few months of living there I got to know the “real Asia”. You will never get to know it unless you live there for a while. The “real Asia” is impossible to try and capture in writing here and, moreover, it is more fun to experience it on your own!“
18 questions for an exchange student
1. Who are you and where do you come from?
My name is Jennifer, I live in Hamburg, Germany.
2. What was your study abroad destination? What made you decide to study abroad there?
My study abroad destination was Kasetsart University in Bangkok, Thailand. I wanted to go abroad in order to get to know another culture, other people and to learn something about myself.
3. How did you experience the application and acceptance procedure?
The application and acceptance procedures went perfectly. Everything was very well handled and every question I had (and I had a lot) were nicely answered by Asia Exchange.
4. Which things were the highlights of your exchange?
Highlights for me were my university and the people I met. Apart from that, I can’t say that “this” or “that” was the very best because I had so many wonderful moments there. I was able to travel to Myanmar and to several islands, too. I have a second home country now.
5. What do you think about the balance between schoolwork and free time activities?
I was able to handle the schoolwork very well. I maybe even had a bit too much respect for the professors – I never wanted to miss a class. I also found the classes very nice and I learned a lot in a different way.
6. Which have been the most interesting things in your studies?
The most interesting thing was to study with different people from different countries.
7. What is your opinion about AE's charity work (currently done in Bali and Phuket)?
I am not so familiar with it but it sounds nice.
8. Have you discovered new things about Asia while studying there?
Oh, definitely! After a few months of living there I got to know the “real Asia”. You will never get to know it unless you live there for a while. The “real Asia” is impossible to try and capture in writing here and, moreover, it is more fun to experience it on your own!
9. Have you learned something new about yourself?
I learned a lot about myself. First of all I learned to be thankful - more thankful for everything. I learned to be patient and try and find an upside in upsetting things. I also realized that I miss my family when I can’t see them for a while.
10. Where have you been travelling during your exchange? Which places have you visited?
I have been to several islands (from Koh Chang to Koh Samui), to Myanmar, Cambodia and the South of Thailand. And of course I’ve seen countless places in Bangkok.
11. Why do you think Asia is suitable for studying abroad?
If you want to learn something new, there is nothing that is a better fit! All other countries are too mainstream!
12. Why do you prefer doing an exchange to backpacking in Asia?
I get to meet and know local people. That is only possible when you live somewhere for longer.
13. Did your home university accept the credits you get abroad?
I don’t know yet. I knew before going that receiving credits from my home university might prove to be difficult. However, I didn’t go to Asia to collect credits, I went there to collect experiences.
14. Did you get some funding for your studies? If yes, what?
Yes, though the process was very difficult. I got some money from the German “Bafög” (a government grant). A “KFW-Darlehen” scholarship can complement your overall funding.
15. Tell us your slogan for your exchange period!
Same same but different.
16. Would you recommend this study program to other students?
17. What are your greetings to Asia Exchange?
I am very thankful for your help and everything you did for me. You are always invited to Hamburg. Hope to see you again and throw a party together.
18. What would you like to tell people that are planning to do an exchange?
DO NOT hesitate!!! Just DO it!
Info-Veranstaltungen und Webinare
„Eine der besten Unis der Welt + Top3 lebenswerteste Städte der Welt = ♥♥♥“Erfahrungsberichte
„Eine unvergessliche Zeit“Erfahrungsberichte
„Ich kann mir keinen besseren Ort vorstellen, sein Auslandssemester zu verbringen“Erfahrungsberichte
„Neue Sichtweisen in Kanada.“Erfahrungsberichte
„Eine Zeit, die ich so schnell nicht vergessen werde“Erfahrungsberichte
„Mein Semester an der UVic war unvergesslich! Tolles Land, super nette Leute und viele aufregende Erlebnisse!“Erfahrungsberichte
„Das Studium an der VIU vereint interessante Studienfächer mit atemberaubender Natur in der Umgebung. Take me back!“Erfahrungsberichte
„work hard - play hard “Erfahrungsberichte
„Ein Traum wird wahr. Ich hatte eine wunderschöne Zeit in Kanada und würde jede Gelegenheit nutzen es nochmal zu tun! “Erfahrungsberichte
„Ein Semester an der University of Roehampton“Erfahrungsberichte